by Michael R. Allen
This photograph depicts the S.S. Admiral cruising the Mississippi River in the early 1940s, not long after its reconstruction. Built first in 1907 as the S.S. Albatross, the rechristened Admiral had a capacity of 4,400 passengers and a palatial ball room on its five decks. Streckfus Steamers commissioned fashion designer and illustrator Maizie Krebs to design the streamline, art deco-influenced superstructure. Reconstruction cost $1 million and took place between 1938 and 1940. The Admiral has not cruised since its engines were removed in 1979.
Photograph from the Preservation Research Office Collection.