The Preservation Research Office collection includes many lavishly-illustrated brochures for office buildings, hotels and development projects in downtown St. Louis. Once upon a time, real estate agents printed multi-page brochures to lure tenants to what were presented as prestigious, beautiful and often exotic buildings. While floorplans and basic information are included to guide decision-making, the brochures are more concerned with using striking images and often-poetic language to persuade would-be tenants.
Here we present a sampling of brochures. These include those for long buildings (the Ambassador), shuttered buildings (the Arcade and Hotel Jefferson), adapted buildings (the Marquette and Paul Brown) and a not-quite-realized project (the Midwest Terminal Building).
Location: Northwest corner, 7th and Locust streets
Architects: C.W. and George L. Rapp
812 Olive Street
Architect: Tom Barnett
Location: 415 N. Tucker Boulevard
Architects: Barnett, Haynes & Barnett
Built: 1904; 1928
Location: 300 N. Broadway
Architects: Eames & Young
Midwest Terminal Building
Location: 710 N. Tucker Boulevard
Architects: Mauran, Russell & Crowell
Paul Brown Building
Location: 818 Olive Street
Architect: Preston J. Bradshaw
This page was researched and written by Michael R. Allen with Laurel Morris. Alyssa J. Stein provided digitization assistance.