Today Landmarks Illinois announced its 2010 Ten Most Endangered Historic Places. More information is online here.
The list includes:
1. Bass-Mollett House — Greenville
2. Chanute Headquarters and Mess Hall – Rantoul
3. Illinois Main Street Program
4. Manske-Niemann Farm – Litchfield
5. Massac Theater – Metropolis
6. North Pullman – Chicago
7. Prentice Women’s Hospital – Chicago
8. Red Cliff – Moline
9. St. Laurence Complex – Chicago
10. Uptown Theatre – Chicago
This is an assortment indicative of the state’s current preservation problems: there’s a mid-century modern building (Prentice Women’s Hospital), a farm, two theaters and a large church (always hard to adapt) and a popular state preservation program.
I previously wrote about the plight of the Massac Theater: “Massac Theater Crumbles in Metropolis, Illinois” (November 13, 2007).