Downtown East St. Louis Historic District

The First National Bank Building at Collinsville and Missouri avenues (1906, 1927) is a contributing resource to the Downtown East St. Louis Historic District.

The First National Bank Building at Collinsville and Missouri avenues (1906, 1927) is a contributing resource to the Downtown East St. Louis Historic District.

Type of Project: National Register of Historic Places District Nomination
Commencement: January 2014
Status: Listed in National Register on September 17, 2014


Public Meeting: September 11
Learn about what the district status means for the future of buildings in the district, and take a walking tour of redevelopment opportunities.

Downtown East St. Louis Historic District Awaits National Register Listing – St. Louis Public Radio, September 11


The City of East St. Louis engaged the Preservation Research Office to identify a potential National Register of Historic Places district in the downtown area. The Downtown East St. Louis Historic District is located near the Mississippi River in East St. Louis (St. Clair), Illinois. The District encompasses two city blocks along Collinsville Avenue, one and a half blocks along Missouri Ave, and the south side of one block along St. Louis Avenue. There are 44 sites in the district, 35 of which have buildings on them. Of the buildings, 25 are contributing resources and 10 are non-contributing. All of the buildings except the Catholic Community House are commercial buildings, with the majority being one-part or two-part commercial blocks. Two of the contributing buildings are individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places: The Spivey Building (NR 01/17/2002) and the Majestic Theatre (NR 05/09/1985). The buildings in the District embody traits of the Late 19th and 20th Century American Movements, Classical Revival, Renaissance Revival, Craftsman and Modern Movement styles.

Michael R. Allen and Lydia Slocum prepared the nomination.


The boundary of the historic district is marked by the red line.

The boundary of the historic district is marked by the red line.


Presentation at Public Meeting

On September 11, 2014, PRO Director Michael R. Allen presented the following slideshow at a public meeting on the project held in the East St. Louis City Council chamber. The meeting included a presentation from Illinois Historic Preservation Agency Preservation Services Chief Rachel Leibowitz and concluded with a walking tour of the district.

Downtown East St Louis Historic District Presenation


Final Draft of the Nomination

Downtown East St Louis Historic District

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *