From the Frank Lloyd Wright House in Ebsworth Park
Kevin W. Tucker, The Margot B. Perot Curator of Decorative Arts and Design at the Dallas Museum of Art, will speak about “Modernity, Medievalism, and the American Home: Gustav Stickley and the American Arts & Crafts Movement”, on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 at 7 P.M. at the Missouri History Museum Lee Auditorium. The lecture is co-sponsored by The Frank Lloyd Wright House in Ebsworth Park and the Missouri History Museum. It is free and open to the public. A book signing will follow the lecture.In 1900, businessman Gustav Stickley introduced a line of â€œNew Furniture,â€ capitalizing upon a trend for simple and forthright furnishings which appealed to progressive American sensibilities. Within a decade, Stickleyâ€™s name became synonymous with that of Arts and Crafts or â€œMissionâ€ furniture â€“ and his Craftsman home designs had helped fuel the rapid development of bungalow suburbs across the United States. This lecture will examine the style and meaning in Stickley furnishings and architecture, as well as his use of The Craftsman magazine and a national retail network to popularize his interests in design reform and the products of his workshops.
Kevin B. Tucker, The Margot B. Curator of Decorative Arts and Design at the Dallas Museum of Art, is a specialist in American decorative arts and design of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He is the curator of the first nationally touring exhibition of Stickleyâ€™s work, Gustav Stickley and the American Arts & Crafts Movement, currently on view at the Dallas Museum of Art.
The Frank Lloyd Wright House in Ebsworth Park was formed as a non-profit organization in 1995 to purchase, restore and operate The Kraus House as a house museum open to the public. The organization also offers programs to educate the public about architecture and design. The Kraus House was completed in 1955 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. More information about The Frank Lloyd Wright House in Ebsworth Park can be found at www.ebsworthpark.org. Tours are by appointment by calling 314-822-8359.
The project is supported in part by the Regional Arts Commission