Category Archives: PRO Collection

Building the General American Life Insurance Company Building

by Michael R. Allen Among the collections of the Preservation Research Office is a stock of amateur photographs showing changed in the St. Louis built environment at the last century‚Äôs middle point. Our collection draws from many anonymous urban gazers … Continue reading

Posted in Downtown, Mid-Century Modern, PRO Collection | 2 Comments

Riverfront Rodeo

So, once upon a time, after the riverfront blocks were cleared (by 1943) but before the Merchant’s Exchange was demolished (1959), there was a rodeo where the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial is now located. the Exchange is located in the … Continue reading

Posted in Downtown, PRO Collection, Riverfront | Leave a comment

Parade Marching Through Mill Creek Valley

by Michael R. Allen Another photograph from our collection of amateur images of the St. Louis built environment captures a parade moving westward down Market Street into Mill Creek Valley. The view was taken west of 21st street, and shows … Continue reading

Posted in Downtown, Gateway Mall, Mill Creek Valley, PRO Collection | 3 Comments

Twelfth Street in the 1930s

by Michael R. Allen This amateur photograph may be out of focus, but its view is monumental: the Depression-era skyline of St. Louis, would-be metropolis of the Midwest. Looking north up the Twelfth Street (now Tucker Boulevard) viaduct over the … Continue reading

Posted in Downtown, PRO Collection | Leave a comment

Cherokee Street Decorated for the Holidays, 1940s

by Michael R. Allen These two photographs from our collection show two eastward views from the late 1940s down Cherokee Street around Christmas time. Amid the wreaths decorating street lights are an array of shoppers and so many projecting store … Continue reading

Posted in Benton Park West, Cherokee Street, Gravois Park, PRO Collection, South St. Louis | 3 Comments

Washington Avenue at Christmas, Circa 1965

by Michael R. Allen This photograph captures the reflection of a Christmas castle and part of the Stix, Baer & Fuller Grand Leader store building (1906, Mauran Russell & Garden; 1919, Mauran, Russell & Crowell) spread across Washington Avenue. The … Continue reading

Posted in Downtown, PRO Collection | 1 Comment

Photographing the Changing Face of St. Louis

by Christina Carlson I recently had the opportunity to digitize several photographs for the Preservation Research Office spanning from the 1930s to the 1980s. The photos consisted primarily of pictures of historic buildings and other structures in St. Louis, but … Continue reading

Posted in Clearance, Infrastructure, JNEM, PRO Collection, Riverfront, South St. Louis, Urban Renewal Era | 1 Comment

Snow Day on Gravois, c. 1960

This photograph dates to around 1960 and shows a woman walking north on the west side of snow-covered Gravois Boulevard just north of Cherokee Street. In the background, faintly, the neon-lit blade sign of F.W. Clemens Supply Company can be … Continue reading

Posted in PRO Collection, South St. Louis, Tower Grove East | Leave a comment

Live Better Electrically

by Michael R. Allen One of the photographs in our recent acquisition of over 200 amateur photographs of St. Louis shows the Union Electric Building at 315 N. 12th Street (now Tucker Boulevard) decked out with holiday decorations. The photograph … Continue reading

Posted in Demolition, Downtown, PRO Collection | 3 Comments

1950s Parade Scene, Cherokee at Compton

by Michael R. Allen In November, we acquired a collection of 209 black and white amateur photographs taken in and around St. Louis between 1930 and 1980. Most of the photographs are from the 1950s and a large number feature … Continue reading

Posted in Benton Park West, Cherokee Street, Gravois Park, PRO Collection, South St. Louis | 17 Comments