Category Archives: Neon

Does the Vess Bottle Belong in the Bottle District?

by Michael R. Allen Now that the “Bottle District” — that mass of spread gravel north of our football stadium — is poised to become part of the Northside Regeneration project, perhaps it is time to evaluate the fate of … Continue reading

Posted in Columbus Square, Downtown, Neon, Northside Regeneration | 2 Comments

“We Knead Your Dough”

Posted in Neon, North County, Signs, St. Louis County | Leave a comment

Traces of Route 66 on Chain of Rocks Road

by Michael R. Allen One of the St. Louis sections of the historic Route 66 is the two-lane Chain of Rocks Road in Madison County, Illinois.  Between Highway 157 at the west and Highway 203 at the east, passing through … Continue reading

Posted in Metro East, Mid-Century Modern, Neon, Theaters | 1 Comment

Bert’s Chuck Wagon Sign Moving

by Michael R. Allen An article in today’s Madison County Journal reports that Bert’s Chuck Wagon restaurant has removed its landmark sign and will be reinstalling it inside the restaurant’s new home. In a turn of rather thoughtless planning, the … Continue reading

Posted in Collinsville, Illinois, Mid-Century Modern, Neon, Signs | 1 Comment

Neon Signs at Antique Warehouse

by Michael R. Allen On Sunday, February 21, the Antique Warehouse hosted a fundraiser for the St. Louis Sign Museum. Guests were able to see the amazing private collection at the Antique Warehouse, which includes numerous neon signs, banners, signs, … Continue reading

Posted in Neon, Signs, St. Louis County | Leave a comment

That Donut Drive-In Sign

by Michael R. Allen The animated neon sign at the Donut Drive-In, 6525 Chippewa Avenue in Lindenwood Park, returned to life on November 1, 2008. Donut Drive-In first opened in 1952 on what was then Route 66, the nation’s “Mother … Continue reading

Posted in Mid-Century Modern, Neon, Public Policy, South St. Louis | Leave a comment

Harter’s Hobby House Sign Removed

by Michael R. Allen For decades, Harter’s Hobby House at 1001 West Main in Belleville beckoned hobbyists with its colorful sign, which resembled a blue pin-striped stick of dynamite with a starlight mint-like pinwheel fuse. The sign is no more, … Continue reading

Posted in Belleville, Illinois, Mid-Century Modern, Neon, Signs | Leave a comment

Storefront Addition: California Do-Nut Company

by Michael R. Allen Yes, the much-mourned California Do-Nut Co. at 2924 S. Jefferson in Benton Park sports a storefront addition. The 1909 Sanborn fire insurance map shows the two-story building as a black smith shop, and building permits suggest … Continue reading

Posted in Benton Park, Mid-Century Modern, Neon, Signs, South St. Louis, Storefront Addition | 1 Comment

Serving St. Louis

by Michael R. Allen The neon sign atop the Railton Residence, originally the Robert E. Lee Hotel, at 18th and Pine streets in downtown St. Louis. The sign frame dates to 1932, when the owners of the Robert E. Lee … Continue reading

Posted in Downtown, Neon | Leave a comment

Good News From the Jacoby

Press Release from the Jacoby Arts Center in Alton, Illinois: The Madison County Arts Council, through a generous grant from the Gateway Foundation, will begin renovation of the historic neon sign that graces the front of their building — the … Continue reading

Posted in Alton, Illinois, Metro East, Neon | Leave a comment