Categories
McRee Town South St. Louis

4343 McRee Avenue Offered for $1

by Michael R. Allen

Tom Pickel, Executive Director of the Garden District Commission is offering the unique house at 4343 McRee Avenue for $1:

The Garden District Commission, a community-based non-profit, owns a unique historic house at 4343 McRee Avenue in the Botanical Heights neighborhood that is threatened with demolition. The GDC would very much like to see the building preserved and rehabbed and is prepared to deed it for $1 to a capable rehabber. Must have the skills, experience and funding to undertake a substantial project. The building is located within the Liggett & Myers National Register Historic District and 10-year tax abatement is available. The re-use of the property could be either residential or commercial.

You will be hearing much more about development in Botanical Heights in the coming months and this is a great opportunity to be part of some exciting things.

Interested buyers can contact Tom Pickel at Thomas.Pickel@desaleshousing.com.

The house enjoys one of the most unique sites in the neighborhood.  It sits on the south side of the intersection of east-west McRee Avenue and an alley that runs parallel to diagonal Vandeventer Avenue.  Consequently, the house has a wedge-shaped profile with a delightful rounded corner.

According to Lynn Josse, who wrote the National Register of Historic Places nomination for the Liggett and Myers Historic District, the house dates to 1892 and is one of the most peculiar examples of the Queen Anne style in the district.

However, the house at 4343 McRee Avenue is part of a group of three Queen Anne-influenced eclectic houses on the south face of a lovely block.  The house is just down the block from the building at Tower Grove Avenue and McRee recently rehabilitated to house Urban Improvement Construction and Central Design Office, firms operated by Brent Crittenden and Sarah Gibson.  Just one block east onthe 4200 block of McRee, UIC and CDO are working on a redevelopment plan to construct 12 new houses and rehabilitate 16 others.  That momentum makes 4343 McRee Avenue a great investment.

Categories
Benton Park West South St. Louis

Ribbon Cutting at Gravois & Michigan Friday

From Alderman Craig Schmid:

Advanced Environmental Services, an environmental remediation firm specializing in abatement services for asbestos, lead, and mold, as well as fire & water restoration and demolition, is showing off its new headquarters in the Benton Park West Neighborhood —

THIS FRIDAY, AUGUST 27, AT 11 A.M.
3100 GRAVOIS AT MICHIGAN/JUNIATA
RIBBON CUTTING CEREMONY.

The event will be the culmination of a year of breathing new life into this old, abandoned warehouse in the Benton Park West Neighborhood. Dennis Ruckman, CEO of Advanced Environmental Services, and H & A Restoration & Development have focused on the historic details of this $1.2 million dollar investment. The building has been restored to look as it did in the 1940s (see Fabick CAT history with a great photo at url:
http://www.fabickcat.com/history.html).

The project will result in the retention of 17 jobs in the City of St. Louis with growth opportunities and includes Brownfield Tax Credits and Historic Tax Credits. Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) certification at the Silver level is being sought.

Mayor Francis G. Slay is scheduled to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony.

Categories
Fox Park Lafayette Square North St. Louis Old North Preservation Board South St. Louis

Preservation Board Approves Fox Park Expansion, Denies Old North Demolition

by Michael R. Allen

Yesterday the St. Louis Preservation Board met with members Richard Callow, Melanie Fathman, Mike Killeen, David Richardson, Anthony Robinson, David Visintaner and Alderwoman Phyllis Young present. The most likely contentious matter on the agenda was consideration of the expansion of the boundaries of the Fox Park Local Historic District accordint to the boundaries below.

Fox Park Neighborhood Association President Ian Simmons explained the purpose of the expansion simply: to put the entire neighborhood on equal footing for design review and development potential. Four other people spoke in favor, including DeSales Housing Corporation Executive Director Tom Pickel. Mark Whitman spoke against the expansion with great conviction, stating that he found the expansion to violate the United States Constitution and to represent gentrification of the southern part of the neighborhood.

The Preservation Board voted unanimously to recommend that the Board of Aldermen approve the boundary increase. The next step is introduction of the boundary increase as an ordinance at the Board of Aldermen by Alderwoman Young and Alderwoman Kacie Starr Triplett. The ordinance will get a committee hearing before the full board considers it.

The Preservation Board also unanimously approved on a preliminary basis the above design for new construction at the southeast corner of Lafayette and Mississippi avenues in Lafayette Square (1922-24 Park Avenue). Designed by architect Paul Fendler, the new two-story building would combine retail on the first floor and residential space above. The board approved a different plan for the site two years ago.

Another interesting case was the return of a front door replacement at 2841 Shenandoah Avenue in Fox Park. After last month’s stalemate on the matter, Andrea Gagen on the Cultural Resources Office staff located a supplier who could provide an acceptable paint-grade wooden door for less than the cost of a door that the owner wanted to install that did not meet the Fox Park Local Historic District standards. The owner asserted that the supplier contacted by Gagen could not make the door he wanted for the cost she stated, and that installation using his contractor would cost $500 regardless (an amount that is incredible for such worl). The Board then voted 4-1 to uphold staff denial of the first application.

The Preservation Board also unanimously upheld the appeal by Louis Ford of denial of a demolition permit for 3219-21 N. 20th Street, pictured above. Located in Old North and the Murphy Blair Historic District, the house has been vacant for years. Ford purchased the house to keep it secured from criminal activity. Ford stated that he would save the house if he could find money for work, but he had no interest in endlessly keeping it boarded and stable. Perhaps the Old North St. Louis Restoration Group would be able to accept the house as a donation.

Categories
South St. Louis Southampton Theaters

Change in Alderpersons Will Impact the Avalon Theater

by Michael R. Allen

The recent resignation of Alderman Stephen Gregali (D-14th) could have an impact on the future of the Avalon Theater at 4225 S. Kingshighway in Southampton. The languishing Art Deco neighborhood movie house, built in 1937 and designed by A.F. and Arthur Stauder, faces an uncertain fate. The owner is a defunct corporation, the Sopo Corporation, although for years Greg Tsevis — son of the deceased Sopo Corporation owners — asserted ownership rights. The last film screening at the Avalon was in 1999, and in subsequent years damage to the roof and terra cotta on the north parapet has occurred. Alderman Gregali and the city’s counselor’s office pushed forward a suit in 2009 that sought to name the City of St. Louis as successor trustee for the Sopo Corporation and give the city power to dispose of the property.  (The judge named an individual as successor.)

On April 20, 2010, Judge Robert Dierker, Jr. entered an order in the case that the parties were willing to settle for a quit-claim deed of the Avalon to the city. However, the deed was not filed by a July 12 deadline. Judge Dierker has set a hearing in the case for August 30th.

If the settlement can be reaches, or if the case results in the city’s being names successor trustee, the future of the Avalon rests with city government. And that means that Gregali’s successor, who will be elected this November in a special election, will have substantial power to determine the fate of one of our city’s few remaining Depression-era neighborhood movie houses.

Categories
Marine Villa South St. Louis

Fire Engine House No. 3

by Michael R. Allen

Thanks to the Marine Villa Neighborhood Association, the venerable Fire Engine House Number 3 on South Broadway was open to the public this past Saturday during the lively Broadway Art-A-Fair. The fire station sits on a flatiron block bounded by Broadway, Miami and Salena streets, making it a visual fulcrum in the neighborhood.

The Bavarian-influenced fire house was built in 1918 and operated as an engine house until 1968. Alderman Craig Schmid (D-20th, then D-10th) used ward capital improvement funds to renovate the building in 2001, and it is now leased to an individual user. It is rarely open to the public.

The interior is remarkably intact, with bakery brick walls, concrete floor, historic light fixtures and tin ceiling in excellent condition.  The bright red paint on the doors and ceilings is a nice touch.  Unconfirmed legend enshrined on a building plaque holds that the gleaming white bakery bricks used inside were left over from the construction of buildings at the Anheuser-Busch brewery, not far up Broadway.  Bakery brick manufactured by local makers, chiefly the Hydraulic Press Brick Company, was widely used for interiors of industrial and garage buildings by 1918.  Many buildings also used bakery brick for exterior accents or wall cladding as well.

Not knowing much about the history of Fire Engine House Number 3, I sought out Mike Seemiller at the Board of Public Service early this week and he showed me drawings for the building. Drawings dated April 1918 and signed by E.R. Kinsey, President of the Board of Public Service and L.R. Bowen, Engineer of Bridges and Buildings show that the fire station’s current appearance is almost exactly as it was built. The drawings also show that the building is the work of staff designers at the Board of Public Service. The building’s Bavarian style is similar to that of Bavarian and Tudor Revival tavern buildings built by Anheuser-Busch in the teens, including the Stork Inn (1910), Gretchen Inn (1913) and Bevo Mill (1917). All of these were designed by the firm Klipstein & Rathmann, leading some historians to suspect that the fire station was also the work of the firm.  The Stork Inn occupies a similar flatiron-shaped block, bounded by Virginia, Idaho and Taft streets.  However, the architectural drawings for Fire Engine Station Number 3 show that its beautiful, picturesque design is the work of lesser-known public servants.

Categories
Events Marine Villa South St. Louis

South Broadway Fire House Open During Art-A-Fair Tomorrow


The historic former fire house at South Broadway and Miami will be open for tours tomorrow during the Broadway Art A Fair, 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.

Here’s some of what’s going on at the Art-A-Fair tomorrow:

A dozen local artists showcasing their talents, have a portrait sketched of yourself, significant other or children, by long time MV [Marine Villa] resident Bob Dielman, Enjoy music by MV’s very own, Ned and Pee Wee followed by the infamous Box of Nerves.  Performances by the St. Louis Hoops group…Did I mention FIRE, Oh Yeah! The day rounds out with a fantastic Capoeira performance, this Afro-Brazilian art form combines, music, dance and martial arts and is sure to amaze onlookers!

Categories
Fox Park Housing South St. Louis

Look Next Door

by Michael R. Allen

This house on the 2800 block of Victor Street in Fox Park is a lovely house that uses the American Foursquare form.  (The American Foursquare is typified by a rectangular shape, hipped or sometimes gabled roof with central dormer and four-room plan on each floor.)  The use of the rock-faced dark brick is particularly striking.  Yet something clearly is missing!

Look above the entrance — there is a shade of the old balcony.  The outline suggests that the balcony was cantilevered over the entrance, maybe with ornate brackets underneath.

Aha! Indeed, the balcony did have ornate brackets and was cantilevered over the entrance. We know this because the near-twin house next door retains its original balcony.  The next-door house is only a near-twin because it employs paired string courses that connect with the arches of the windows and entrance.  The balconies were probably the same, but the brick work was not made exact.  Such a slight variation is typical in St. Louis vernacular masonry architecture, which produced many near-twins but few exact copies.

Categories
South St. Louis St. Cecilia Historic District

St. Cecilia Historic District Launches Website

by Michael R. Allen

The St. Cecilia Historic District — bounded by Grand, Delor, Virginia and Bates avenues — has its own website showcasing its unique architecture and history. Neighborhood resident and historian NiNi Harris provided narrative history and selected contemporary and historic views of the neighborhood. The district is anchored by the twin-steepled, Romanesque St. Cecilia Roman Catholic Church, designed by Henry Hess and completed in 1925. However, the surrounding residential and neighborhood commercial buildings include some of south city’s finest early 20th century brick vernacular architecture.

Check out the website here. Does your historic district have a website?

Categories
Agriculture Gravois Park Shaw South St. Louis Tower Grove East

Chickens in South City

by Michael R. Allen

Sparing readers of chickens coming home platitudes, I will state that there are a lot of chickens in St. Louis city these days. Urban agriculture in the city is becoming more diversified, and many backyard farmers are adding chicken coops with resident hens and roosters. The coops range from formally-designed to organically-built, small to large. Many are made from wooden pieces found in alleys.

On July 11, Travis DeRousse organized the first “St. Louis Chicken Coop Tour” (this is the first by that name, not the first). The tour included eight coops in Shaw, Tower Grove East, Gravois Park, Marine Villa, Benton Park and Dutchtown. The concentration in a relatively small part of south St. Louis suggests that there are dozens of such coops all over the city. Since most coops are low buildings, and most chickens pretty quiet, neighbors may not even realize what is going on next door or down the block. With over 60 people in attendance on the tour, there seems to be strong interest in building more coops and bringing more chickens in the city — which is a return to historic practice, actually.

The first coop on the tour was Greg’s elegant backyard coop in Shaw.  With vergeboards, ornament and a hinged salvaged window, this is a fine work of architecture.

Cara Marie in Tower Grove East built a coop of wood from alleys, with the different pieces almost striated as horizontal siding.

Travis’ own coop in Tower Grove East is a small, neat raised building.  The problem: his dogs shared the backyard, but not for long.  The dogs killed the chickens.  Chickens need to be protected from dogs.  Some coop owners on the tour spoke of how their cats were safe around chickens, and protected them.  Not all cats are created equal, however.

Just one block down the street from Travis, Sara Kate has what was the largest coop of the tour.  Again, the alley salvage craftsmanship shows.  The shed roof is hinged to open for easy access.

I had to leave the tour at the Community Arts and Media Project (CAMP), the fourth stop, but not before peeking in the CAMP coop to see not only a hen but also a duck!  There are certainly lots of possibilities in urban farming.

The contemporary urban coops are just the latest manifestation of chicken-raising in the city.  Old newspapers are full of tales, mostly silly, that illustrate how prevalent chickens were in St. Louis in the 19th and early 20th centuries.  An 1897 article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch gave a hi-falutin “city farmer” space to describe good practices.  The farmer called for prohibiting chickens in the city so that farms were all-vegetable!

The August 20, 1881 issue of the Post-Dispatch carried the article “The Compton Hill Chickens,” showing that the southsiders of today are really just upholding tradition.  A Mr. Brunaugh of 2744 Lafayette Avenue reported that men were going door to door on Compton Hill trying to sell chickens that they brought along.  The sales ruse included letting the a chicken go, causing a mad dash by the “salesmen” across back yards.  They would capture their hen but also pick up a few others on the way.  “The finest chickens in the city are raised on Compton Hill,” the reporter wrote.

Sometimes chickens led to courtroom drama, too.  The article “Poisoned Fowls Cause of Quarrel” in the October 5, 1904 issue of the Post-Dispatch reported on the curious sudden death of 35 of Mrs. Fox’s chickens.  (There were no limits on number of chickens at that time, and I doubt that today’s chicken farmers have any aspirations to a number as big as 35.)  Mrs. Fox accused next-door neighbor Mrs. Catherine Seher of 2812 Arsenal Street of throwing poisoned bread over the fence.  Justice Kleiber of the Police Court sided with Mrs. Seher, however, after testimony by all parties.  Miss Nellie Seher, daughter of the accused, was a strong witness.  The article notes that Miss Seher “did not use adjectives in her testimony, and was therefore more than ordinarily convincing.”

Categories
Events South St. Louis Southwest Garden

Tour Southwest Garden by Bike

Saturday, June 5, 10 am to 12 noon, Architectural Tour by Bicycle of Southwest Garden Neighborhood, led by architectural historian Lynn Josse.

Meet at the Southwest Garden office, 4950 Southwest Ave, at 10 am. Bring a water bottle and wear a helmet.

We’ll have coffee available. The ride is free but small donations to help cover the cost of insurance are gladly accepted.

Organized in partnership with the St. Louis Bicycle Federation